What proactive measures can I take to maintain life of my car tyres ?
Tyres are one of the expensive spare parts in a car which makes it necessary for users to take extra care of them so that its life is extended.
- Maintain proper air pressure in all the tyres. Don’t procrastinate in getting tyre pressure checked. Make it a practice of getting tyre pressure checked everytime or if not everytime every alternate time you refuel the car.
- Wheel alignment & wheel balancing should be done every 10000 Kms depending upon road conditions and driving habits. If you are facing vehicle pulling problem then get wheel alignment done immediately before it damages your tyres to the extent of getting it replaced.
- Get suspension parts checked every time car goes for servicing. (Tyres start wearing off unevenly if suspension and steering parts like struts, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc are weak or damaged)
- Get the tyres rotated every 8000-10000 Kms. Regular and consistent tyre rotation will allow the tyres to wear evenly thus extending the overall life of the tyres.
- Avoid driving over potholes or edgy corners at high speeds. Though tyres are designed to go through rough treatment but frequent shocks at high speeds might cause pre mature failure of tyres.
- Sometimes small stones, gravel get stuck in the tread area of the tyres. Sometimes these stones create problems such as abnormal noise when it comes in contact with the road while running, a pointed stone can pierce through when forced due to tyre movement against road causing a puncture and it also reduces traction. Periodically tyres should be checked and anything stuck in the tread area can be removed easily.
- Lastly one should inspect the tyres at least once every week so that any type of wear or abnormality is spotted at an early stage and thus can be rectified minimizing the damage.